Maritime Museums News
- On 27/09/2015
- In Museum News
By Kirste Smith - The Cornishman
A heritage centre will be taking over the ownership of a ship's bell from the 1800s next month.
Hayle Heritage Centre will be taking over the ownership of the bell from the SS Carnsew, which was a coastal steamer built by Harvey's Foundry in 1888.
The ship was used to ferry coal, tin and copper ore between ports in Cornwall and South Wales via Bristol.
It sunk in a collision with another cargo ship, the SS Everest, off Bull Point on the North Devon coast on October 17 1903 but the captain and crew survived.
The bell, which was discovered by North Devon Diving Club, has been donated in memory of Phil Durbin, a keen diver with the club.