Titanic exhibits maritime museum
From Liverpool Echo
Undoubtedly the most famous ship in history – may have been built in Belfast and made her ill-fated maiden voyage from Southampton, but it is with Liverpool that she has her strongest and most lasting emotional ties.
The liner was registered here, and bore the inscription ‘Liverpool’: a graphic image captured in the subsequent great movies of the disaster, after the ‘unsinkable’ liner collided with an iceberg in the Atlantic in April 1912, with the loss of 1,500 lives.
As Titanic finally tilted towards her watery grave, and then slid beneath the glassy ocean, it was the word Liverpool, in huge lettering on her stern, which provided the final glimpse of the liner for 73 years, until her wreck was discovered in 1985.
But the local links don’t end there.
Around 100 of the ship’s crew, as well as 17 passengers, came from Merseyside; her captain, Edward John Smith, lived at Waterloo, and Bruce Ismay, chairman of owners White Star Line, had two houses here.