Cargo and passengers lost on the 'Hoang Ho'

Loss of the steam vessel schooner Hoang Ho
from various printed source - Pascal Kainic

Amoy 25th day of June and 2nd day of July, 1904:

An investigation was held on the circumstances attending the foundering of the British steamship "Hoang Ho," of the port of Shanghai, when on a voyage from Amoy to Chinchow, and the cause of such foundering.

Built as the "Kung Wo" for the Yangtze Steam Navigation Co., Her maiden voyage was on Sept. 24th. 1879

Taken over by Jardine Mathieson, who then transferred the ship to the newly formed Indo-China Steam Navigation Co. in Jan 1st. 1882. She was then used to enter the Yangtze river trade in April 1895 and sold to the Viceroy of Nanking, renamed "Kiang Shun". in 1897.

Taken over by Boyd & Co. when the vessel was in need of repairs, as at that time it was suggested that no maintenance had been undertaken for over 2 years.

In 1899, she was acquired by CNCo. and renamed "Hoang Ho"...

The "Hoang Ho" was a steam vessel, schooner-rigged, of 388 tons register, built at Shanghai in 1879, and belonging to the port of Shanghai.

It appears from the evidence given before the Court that she sailed from Amoy on or about 15th June, 1904, bound for Chinchu, with a general cargo and a crew of 31, all told, as well as 344 passengers.

The vessel left Amoy at 6.10 p.m. on the 15th June, 1904, and, after passing Tsingseu, shaped course past Guemoy Spit buoy, which was passed at about a mile distant at 8.30 p.m., at which time the course was altered N. 75° E. Dodd Island was passed at about two miles distant, but it was too thick to ascertain the true position. Course was then altered to N. 45° E. Scrag Point was sighted shortly before midnight, at 12.5 a.m. was four points on the bow, and at 12.25 a.m. abeam.

The ship was steaming about 7 knots at the time Course was then altered to N. 30° E. The weather set in thick with drizzling rain, and there was a considerable south-easterly swell on, and land was lost sight of.

The captain relieved the second officer, as officer of the watch, at midnight, in the absence of the chief officer left behind in hospital at Amoy.

About 1.45 a.m. soundings were taken giving depths of about 6 fathoms. It was nearly high water at the time. At 5 minutes to 2 the ship struck and shortly afterwards (from 10 to 20 minutes, according to different witnesses) she sank, going down by the head.

Endeavour was made to launch the boats, of which there were three, but time did not permit of their being placed in the water owing considerably to the obstruction of the Chinese passengers, who were much panic-stricken.

This small vessel of 388 tons was licensed as an inland steamer by the Chinese Imperial Customs to carry 671 passengers on this voyage to Chinchu, extending over 50 miles of open sea in the Formosa Channel, whilst unprovided with life-saving appliances for even a quarter of this number.

These facts must be mainly responsible for the great loss of life.

The Hoang Ho

Add a comment