Dr Peingeondjabi Shipoh
From The Namibian
Excavations at the site where the remains of a centuries-old shipwreck were discovered near Oranjemund almost seven months ago have ended - and now the real work of studying what has been hailed as Namibia's most exciting archaeological discovery in decades at least is set to start.
The shipwreck site, discovered on April 1 and since then shielded from the Atlantic Ocean by a huge wall of sand that diamond mining company Namdeb constructed as part of its beach mining activities along the coast, has now been surrendered to the sea again.
The archaeological dig at the site ended successfully on October 10, archaeologist Bruno Werz from the Southern African Institute of Maritime Archaeology told The Namibian in a telephone interview yesterday.
Werz, who led the excavations at the site during April and again from September 8, said the last piece of timber of the structure of the ship that met its end on that stretch of Namibia's desert coast was removed from the site on October 9.
© 2007-2019 oceantreasures.org
All Rights Reserved